We are extremely pleased to be working with Santa Clarita Valley Adventure Play to bring to you the first ever Playwork Campference. During 16th to 19th February 2017, we will be gathering together in Val Verde CA, USA to celebrate playwork in the surroundings of the hatchling site, Eureka Villa Adventure Playground.
The Playwork Campference 2017 will have the following focuses:
- Playwork Practice – specifically learning how to embed playwork into both our professional and personal lives.
- Bringing Alive Theoretical Concepts – seeing playwork theories come alive, and then building our understanding of key concepts through community discussions
- Making Connections – it has long been the focus of Pop-Up Adventure Play to bring together folks with the same common goal. This is a great opportunity to realise this by meeting people in person.
Rather excitedly, would like to introduce you to some wonderful people who will be headlining our Campference:
- Professor Fraser Brown, the worlds first (and only) Professor of Playwork, Head of Playwork at the School of Health & Community Studies at Leeds Beckett University, UK.
- Erin Davis, Director of the very successful documentary, The Land.
- Jill Wood, founder of Bayou City Play and AP, an adventure playground Houston, TX.
At the Campference, you will also meet:
- Morgan Leichter-Saxby and Suzanna Law, both Playwork PhD Candidates at Leeds Beckett University in the UK and founders of Pop-Up Adventure Play
- Andy Hinchcliffe, former manager of a children’s center in the UK and now part of Team Pop-Up Adventure Play.
- Jeremiah Dockray and Erica Larsen Dockray of Santa Clarita Adventure Play and proud founders of Eureka Villa Adventure Playground
We are also excited to include some free-to-attend, open-to-public events as part of our Campference:
- A Film Screening of The Land and Imagine Kolle 37 will take place on 17th February at 7pm, hosted generously by SCVi Charter School. A wonderful panel of directors and experts will be on hand afterwards for a Q&A session.
- A pop-up adventure playground will be held in the afternoon of 18th February at Val Verde Park. Bring your family and let the children take the lead in this temporarily loose parts playground, which will be staffed by trained playworkers.
Here is the press release for the Campference. Itinerary to to come soon.
Dates: 16th-19th February 2017
Location: Val Verde, CA
Early bird rate (ending 2nd Oct 2016): Between $300-$375 USD per person
Full rate (after 2nd Oct 2016): Between $400-$475 USD per person
Registration has now ended. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Registration Fee – includes food, accommodation and all materials
Nearest Airport – Burbank (for the US) or Los Angeles (for international)
Transportation – The easiest way to get to Val Verde is by car or taxi. We are working on a pick-up/drop off system, so please let us know specifically if you would like to be part of this.
Hotel Recommendations – We have visited some local hotels and have a few recommendations. You can find the information here.
Financial Assistance – This is available on a case by case basis. Register and select “Financial Aid” and tell us what your specific needs are.